Today let’s talk about how to increase performance when exporting a report in MicroStrategy.
Sometimes we have a large report that contains a lot of rows and it can be a problem for Intelligence Server to generate and export that report.
There is a way to optimize the exportation, so your environment will consume less memory and export quickly: Bulk Export.
By default, MicroStrategy loads the entire report in memory to make the manipulation faster. The amount of memory that can be used for this purpose can be set in the Working Set parameter in MicroStrategy Developer/Desktop.
Once you change your report to Bulk Export you can’t change back to a regular report. So, if you want to have a visualization report, you must duplicate your report and convert just a copy to bulk export.
To create your bulk export report you just have to:
1. Open Developer/Desktop;
2. Create a regular report;
3. Click on Data -> Configure Bulk Export
4. You need to select the database instance that MicroStrategy will use to allocate the temporary tables needed to export your report. In my case, I’m going to use the Tutorial Data, you must use your own DW database instance.
5. It will export your report as a .csv file, so you need to configure your text file with a delimiter. You can use the default there is Comma, if you want.
6. Click Ok and Save your Bulk Export Report. You will see that the icon of your report has changed.
7. Open MicroStrategy Web and click on the bulk export report created. It will open a page with for creating a new subscription.In Bulk Export Report, you can only send reports to a file location.
Just insert the sub-folder name, if needed and MicroStrategy will generate your text file using that report data.
Hope it helps.
God bless you!